Tense protests over the death of George Floyd raged for a fifth consecutive night on Saturday in cities across the US, from Philadelphia to Los Angeles, with police cars set ablaze and reports of injuries mounting on all sides.
The demonstrations, which began in Minneapolis following Floyds death on Monday when a police officer pressed a knee onto his neck until he stopped breathing, have become a national phenomenon as protesters decry years of police brutality against African Americans.
The violent clashes between activists and law enforcement reached the White House and the doors of Trump Towers in New York and Chicago on Saturday night after Donald Trump inflamed the situation with tweets threatening vicious retribution.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines
Please allow a moment for our liveblog to load
- Protests rage for fifth night as police cruisers and buildings burn
- Violent clashes seen outside Trump Tower in New York and Chicago
- Security barriers broken down outside White House
- Trump returns from Florida SpaceX rocket launch to scenes of chaos
- Mass gatherings raise fear of fresh wave of coronavirus infections
Show latest update
Hello and welcome to The Independent’s rolling coverage of the demonstrations taking place in cities across the US in response to the killing of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis.
- Joe Sommerlad
- 31 May 2020 09:39