A legal challenge by an active Liberal Party member has been filed against the Andrews government’s curfew policy, arguing it is unreasonable, disproportionate, and violates the human rights of millions of Victorians.

The toll on my children is the greatest concern to me, she says in a sworn affidavit.
Liberal Party members from south-east Melbourne have confirmed that Ms Loielo, 41, is an active member of the party.
Two sources with knowledge of the litigation have told The Age the case is being backed by prominent business figures.
Ms Loielo lost her husband to cancer two-and-a-half years ago and she is now the primary carer for her three daughters.
I am the sole financial provider for my three children and I am genuinely concerned that I am not going to be able to provide for my children if this situation continues.
The government has said the curfew will remain in place until October 26, or until Melbourne reaches a fourteen-day average of five cases per day. The curfew came into effect on August 2.
If successful, the suit may render the curfew invalid and affect the lives of millions of Victorians in one decision.
The writ states that the human rights of Victorians have been infringed and that the curfew amounts to an unlawful restriction of movement, arbitrary detention and a deprivation of liberty.
“The defendant acted under the direction and at the behest of the Premier of Victoria … and failed to give any real independent consideration as to whether it was appropriate to make the curfew directive,” the writ states.
“The curfew directive is invalid on the grounds of irrationality and illogicality … in that it is arbitrary, capricious, unjust and not based on relevant and reliable evidence.”
“The curfew directive has had, and continues to have, the effect of violating the human rights of the plaintiff,” and “the defendant has contravened section 38 of the Charter.”
The curfew currently limits Victorians to a maximum of two hours exercise each day and mandates that from 9pm to 5am residents must be inside their homes. The writ is not challenging the exercise restriction.
The toll on my children is the greatest concern to me.
Michelle Loielo, restaurant owner
Last week the future of the curfew was thrown into doubt after Premier Daniel Andrews admitted it was the government who decided to put it in place, and it was not requested by health authorities or Victoria Police.
Mr Andrews rejected suggestions the policy violated human rights after Liberal Party MP Tim Wilson wrote to the Human Rights Commission claiming the restriction threatened the freedoms of Victorians.
Several high-profile barristers, including former director of the Carlton Football Club Marcus Clarke QC, commercial barrister Vanessa Plain and Administrative Appeals Tribunal member Dr Jason Harkess have been briefed to argue the matter for Ms Loielo.
An application to escalate the case to the Court of Appeal will be heard in the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Trump Biden 2020
Our weekly newsletter will deliver expert analysis of the race to the White House from our US correspondent Matthew Knott. Sign up for The Sydney MorningHerald’s newsletter here, The Age’s here, Brisbane Times’ here and WAtoday’s here. 
David Estcourt is a court and general news reporter at The Age.
Paul is a reporter for The Age.