NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says people need to exercise high caution over the drop which is due to a low number of tests being done over the Easter weekend.
April 12, 2020 12:26:44
The overnight rise in confirmed COVID-19 cases in NSW has dropped to seven, the lowest number since March 11.
However, the death toll has risen by one overnight, to a total of 24.
An 82-year-old man died in Royal Prince Alfred Hospital after catching the infection from a known confirmed case in another family member.
NSW Health acting director Christine Selvey confirmed the person had no connection with the stricken Ruby Princess cruise ship.
She said 52 remaining crew members on the ship had now tested positive for COVID-19.
Despite the low number of new cases, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said people needed to exercise “high caution” over the low statistic as it attributed to a low number of tests done overnight.
He said only 33 tests had been done in the past 24 hours, compared to a normal volume of at least 3,500.
The number of total confirmed cases in NSW is now 2,854.
April 12, 2020 12:13:13
Contact Sarah Thomas
stories from New South Wales