In today’s Morning Brief, we look at the questions that potential partners and participants in the Canada Student Service Grant program are asking about how money from the $912 million student summer grant program was being spent by WE Charity.

Good morning! This is our daily news roundup with everything you need to know in one concise read. Sign up here to get this delivered to your inbox every morning.
Charities question whether WE-run student program would have been worth the money
Potential partners and participants in the Canada student service grant program are questioning how money from the $912-million student summer grant program was being spent by WE Charity  and whether the programming would have provided meaningful experiences for student volunteers.
CBC News has been shown documents that WE Charity created as part of its role as program administrator and funds distributor. Before it withdrew from its $19.5-million contract to administer the program, WE was partnering with charities and non-profit organizations to put the student volunteers to work. Teachers were also sub-contracted to both recruit and supervise groups of students from their communities.
The program set aside money for training and supervising the students, based on the number of students who signed on  a financial incentive for the charities and teachers to get as many students involved as possible.
Teachers picking up this extra contract work to supplement their regular public salaries this summer were to receive $12,000 for recruiting 75 to 100 students. In rural areas, they’d only need to supervise 55 students for the same amount of money.
In a statement issued to CBC News Monday, WE said the primary role of these teachers was to support students from less privileged socio-economic backgrounds, or to recruit students in parts of the country with fewer volunteer opportunities.
Many charities have seen their regular programming and fundraising significantly disrupted by the pandemic and have been forced to lay off staff, making it difficult for them to welcome new student volunteers. That’s why up to $5 million of the program’s budget was earmarked to give organizations the capacity to train and supervise volunteers. But charities appear to have been offered different amounts of money to supervise similar numbers of students. Read more on this story here.
Streaking across the sky
(Sergei Grits/The Associated Press)
Comet NEOWISE is seen early Tuesday behind an Orthodox church in Turets, Belarus. The comet will make its closest approach to Earth on July 22 at a distance of 103 million kilometres. 
In brief
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is accusing the federal government of preventing tech companies like Google and Apple from working with provinces to improve their contact tracing apps. “Unfortunately the government of Canada has told Google and Apple not to work with the government of Alberta or other provincial governments on improving the TraceTogether app,” Kenney said Monday. Alberta’s app uses Bluetooth technology to identify other nearby smartphones that also have the app installed. But Alberta Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said that the app doesn’t function on iPhones unless the app is open and the phone is unlocked. A report released last week by Alberta’s privacy commissioner indicated that leaving the app open could be a privacy concern. Kenney said he wants to work with Apple and Google to fix the problem, but Ottawa wants to deal with tech companies itself. Read more about the app issue here.
The mother of two little girls who were found dead in a Quebec forest over the weekend wept uncontrollably yesterday as she looked over a colourful, makeshift shrine of stuffed animals, heartfelt messages, candles and flowers in a Lévis, Que., park to honour them. After visiting the memorial, Amélie Lemieux thanked all those who have offered her and her family support since her daughters, 11-year-old Norah and six-year-old Romy, went missing on Wednesday. Provincial police have narrowed their search for the girls’ father, 44-year-old Martin Carpentier, to a forested area near Saint-Apollinaire, southwest of Quebec City. Carpentier is wanted in connection with the deaths of the two girls. Read more on this story here.
Watch | Quebec mother mourns 2 daughters; police narrow search for father:
A large swath of Ontario will move to Stage 3 of the province’s reopening plan on July 17, with the exception of the Greater Toronto Area and other parts of southern Ontario, which will remain in Stage 2 for now.  The province’s plan will allow for activities such as indoor dining in restaurants, live performing arts shows and the reopening of movie theatres and playgrounds albeit with significant health and safety measures in place, including physical distancing, enhanced cleaning protocols and Plexiglas barriers.The province says it will allow indoor gatherings of up to 50 people in Stage 3 and outdoor gatherings of up to 100 people. However, according to the plan, physical distancing remains a requirement for all people who are not from the same household or established social circle. Read more about Ontario’s reopening here.
Four months after the National Hockey League suspended games because of the pandemic, training camps are now open for the resumption of play. Normally on the first day of camp most media questions centre on improving the power play or penalty kill. However, this time around, the majority focused on the emotions and logistical challenges of playing professional hockey during a pandemic. Calgary Flames captain Mark Giordano figures it’s best to proceed with the highest level of caution. “Right now, you have to be smart,” he said. Read more about the return of the NHL here.
Watch | Safety concerns, economic hopes as NHL hub cities prepare:
Glee star Naya Rivera’s four-year-old son told investigators that his mother, whose body was found in a Southern California lake Monday, boosted him back on the deck of their rented boat before he looked back and saw her disappearing under the water, authorities said. “She must have mustered enough energy to get her son back on the boat, but not enough to save herself,” Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub said at a news conference. The boy, Josey Hollis Dorsey, was found asleep and alone in a life vest on the drifting pontoon boat about three hours after the pair launched on Lake Piru northwest of Los Angeles, setting off a five-day search that ended with the discovery of the body of the 33-year-old floating near the surface early Monday, authorities said. Read more on this story here. 
Now for some good news to start your Tuesday: Bingo lovers in Windsor, Ont., were finally able to get their fix, get out of the house and keep their physical distancing intact Saturday as Parking Lot Bingo was set up outside the All Star Gaming Centre. “This is what we’ve been able to do under the new rules that are going on right now,” said Tony Rosa, president of Community Gaming and Entertainment Group. The company runs all the charitable gaming centres and bingo halls in Windsor and the town of Tecumseh. Approximately 450 players dabbed their cards from the comfort of their cars as a caller broadcast over an FM radio frequency. Rosa said the group limited its marketing for the event to email and social media, concerned they might get too many people. Instead of yelling bingo, the winners honked their horns to alert attendants who would come and check their cards. “We offer them a spot and a good time for a couple of hours,” Rosa said. Read more about the drive-in bingo here.
Front Burner: As Bolsonaro downplays COVID-19, Brazil nears 2 million cases
Brazil is nearing two million confirmed cases of COVID-19. The country is second to only the United States in its number of cases and deaths and, recently, Brazil’s leader himself tested positive. Despite this, President Jair Bolsonaro continues to downplay the threat of the virus. 
Today on Front Burner, we’re joined by Gustavo Ribiero, a journalist with the Brazilian Report and host of the Explaining Brazil podcast. He’ll tell us how COVID-19 overtook Brazil, and why he thinks its president is unlikely to acknowledge the danger.
Today in history: July 14
1789: A Paris mob storms the notorious Bastille prison and releases seven political prisoners during the French Revolution. Bastille Day is now a national holiday in France.1933: Robert Bourassa is born in Montreal. He served as Quebec’s premier from 1970-76 and again from 1985-94.
1965: The Mariner 4 satellite circles Mars, taking the first close-up photographs of the red planet.
1976: The House of Commons passes a bill to formally abolish the death penalty in Canada. After debating the issue for more than two months, the bill is approved by a 130-124 vote. At the time, there were 11 men on death row awaiting execution, although the last hangings had occurred in 1962.
2000: A tornado hits a campground at Pine Lake near Red Deer, Alta., where nearly 1,000 people were holidaying. Eleven people died, including a two-year-old child from Brampton, Ont. A twelfth person died in hospital a month later.